Custom Search

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Blaze Tricks Nick Into Moving World's Largest Piece of Furniture

Baby Blaze might not be arriving for another four months, but she's already cramping our style by making us spend our weekends at places like Babies R Us, Value City Furniture, and the baby section at Wal-Mart. Last week it took us two long nights to finish painting her room. Here are some pictures of Kasey putting the finishing touches on after about five hours of taping off walls and painting the trim.
























Then the real fun began on Saturday morning when we picked up her furniture. Surprisingly, Babies R Us doesn't deliver furniture, so I had to recruit my buddy, Nick, to help me pick up the crib and armoire that we ordered. With the temperature at a balmy 20 degrees on Saturday, it was the perfect weather to ride around town in a rented UHaul truck with 194,000 miles and pick up furniture.

The morning started with a pleasant surprise as we ran into the Kinnucan family at Babies R Us. Confusing looks were exchanged as the Kinnucans were not quite sure why two guys without kids were strolling into Babies R Us at 10:00 on a Saturday morning. Once we got that all cleared up, Andy and I tied up the customer service desk for at least 20 minutes as he was trying to return some sort of baby cage and I was trying to pay the remaining balance on the furniture. When the salesman wheeled out the furniture, Nick and I pulled muscles in our backs just looking at it.

I'm not going to try to explain how we got a 200 lb, fully assembled armoire into our house and up the stairs. Any story I would tell would never do it justice. I was kicking myself for not having Kasey take some pictures or a video because it would have been great for the blog. Let's just sum it up by saying that it took every bit of 30 minutes to move the thing, Nick nearly died twice, and I thought I had crushed my hand and damaged my surgically repaired ankle on two different occasions in which we dropped the box. Kasey was her usual helpful self as she used the old "I'm pregnant" excuse for the 200th time to get out of doing a little bit of work.

Here's a picture of me with the beast.

4 comments:

Mandy Kinnucan said...

I really thought Nick was helping you register. I was just a LITTLE bit confused...

kbfish said...

Why is Kasey holding a paint can and paint brush? She should not be lifting that or inhaling those fumes!!! Matthew, I'm ashamed of you. I thought you had better friends than that. Am I going to have to MOVE to South Bend to watch out for her?!?! ;)

The Wegeners said...

All the work was definately worth it....the furniture is really great looking!

Anna and Nick said...

It was fun...beer would have made it better.