Custom Search

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Food Week pt. 4

As noted in the last two posts, we've been growing a garden. It's in the little area behind our house, which used to be completely overgrown with ivy--you may not remember it, because we never took anyone back there. But Matthew transformed it into the spring, pulling up the ivy, adding rocks and creating a path, and building the little area for the garden.



Once he built the garden, Matthew turned it over to me and Myla to grow things. We started out simple with some herbs (basil, rosemary, thyme, cilantro) and tomatoes. We have since added cucumbers and some impatiens. Those pink and green things in the middle are caladiums.

Myla loves going back there with me, poking around in the dirt and checking on the progress. She has her own set of gardening tools and makes sure things get watered.



For my first attempt at a garden, I'm pretty happy. So far we've only been able to eat the herbs, but it's so great to have them on hand for cooking. The tomatoes and cucumbers look promising but aren't near ready yet. If I get to eat one tomato and one cucumber from my own garden this year, I'll call it a success.

4 comments:

kbfish said...

That area looks much better. Nice work!

Believe it or not, I have grown (and David has eaten what we've grown) tomatoes this year!!

Nana/Mom said...

The garden looks great! I'm sure it's fun for you and Myla to work in it together.

Rita H. said...

Garden looks really good and pretty! I think you will have some tomatoes. I am sure Myla is proud of her green thumb and yours!

Love, Rita

lbucl;es said...

Granny B. said...

Kasey I don't see how and when you and Myla have the time to grow such a beautiful garden.The
walkway and the flowers.I'm sure
Mattthew did a lot of that.

See you soon. Love GRANNY