Custom Search

Friday, September 21, 2012

Word Play

I found this post I'd started but didn't finish from early February:

*******
Luke has started talking more. He now says mama, dada, Baw Baw, Nana (the grandmother), 'nana (the fruit), yes, ball, up, apple, and a handful of others that are recognizable only to us. Like Myla at this age, Luke doesn't use words that much, but it's clear her understands a ton. He listens to directions very well ("Go get a tissue and bring it to me," "Use your stool to climb onto the couch," etc.). He loves to read books right now, and can identify countless pictures in them.

Myla has had a couple of funny sayings lately. Last week I was walking Myla into her basketball practice, and told her she could have a treat afterwards. When she asked what kind, I told her it was a yellow sugar cookie. She screamed "I LOVE YELLOW! I LOVE SUGAR!"


Another evening, Myla had been telling me about her day with Holly, when we got interrupted. Later, I asked her again, "What did you and Holly do today?" She replies, "Well, we went to the mall, but you already know all about that . . ."


Then there's nothing like having a three-year-old repeat your oft-used phrases. Most often, this happens when Myla's talking to Luke, and she says things to him that I say. Like when he's not cooperating, and she'll say "Luke! Honestly!" Or when she tells him "Luke, you are all up in my Kool-Aid," which is something I say to her quite a bit.

*********
Update, 9/18: Myla has adopted another one of my sayings, which I in turn got from Mamaw Highbaugh. It's "I swannee to my time," the most Southern expression ever, used to convey exasperation. I honestly didn't even realize that I say it, until Myla started repeating it. Now I catch myself saying it a LOT. You can take the girl out of the south, but . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"
LUKE, Granny can see your Euclia when you opened your mouth real wide. Myla do you have one? Barney on Andy Griffith show says "Everyone has one".
Love Granny''''''LILLIAN