Custom Search

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Aunt Kelly Throws a Shower

My sister Kelly hosted my first baby shower over Easter Weekend, and she did such an amazing job. She made my favorite foods, including Hershey Pie, and had elaborate decorations (notice the diaper cake in the picture below). It was even further proof of what a great aunt she's going to be--so thanks, Kelly! Thanks also to her husband David and my mom for their help with the event.



We got some wonderful gifts from our family and friends in E'town. My mom made an afghan and a scrapbook for the baby, and we also got some special things of Mamaw Lettie's. First, my aunt Rita gave Baby Blaze and me a necklace that she had once given to Mamaw Lettie. Mamaw Lettie wore it every day for years and years, and Rita wanted the first great-great-granddaughter to have it. It meant a lot to us, and I put it in a little shadow box that we'll hang in the baby's room, along with Mamaw Lettie's "be careless" advice. My grandmother also gave me a doll quilt that Mamaw Lettie made for our baby. Both of these family heirlooms are pictured below.


My favorite part of the shower was hearing the women in my family talk about their own pregnancies and children. It was especially funny to hear about how attitudes toward baby care have changed over the last thirty-plus years. Like how my Aunt Shirley drove home from the hospital holding her son in her arms in the passenger seat, and how I stayed in a hotel in Illinois with my parents when I was two weeks old, and slept in a dresser drawer! But hey, my cousins and I survived!

Thanks to everyone who attended. It was wonderful to see you all!

No comments: