Custom Search

Friday, May 2, 2008

Quotes from Childbirth Class

Kasey and I finished up our fifth session of childbirth class this past Wednesday so now we are all ready for Baby Blaze to make her appearance. There is no way for me to accurately describe the wide range of people in our class. During the first 30 minutes I turned to Kasey and asked for a pen and paper so that I could write some things down. But it wasn't to write down important things the instructor was saying, but the ridiculous things that other people in the class were saying. Here's a sample of my favorites with a description of the person who said it so that you can understand the context:
  1. "Pain is weakness leaving the body." - One of the husbands, a former marine.
  2. "Does the epidural involve a needle going into the spine?" - Husband of very quiet, nervous, and scared wife who insists she is getting a C-section just because it will be easier. The instructor then showed us a needle used for an epidural and described the procedure. Same husband then turned to his wife who had turned white and looked like she was on the verge of tears and says, "Oh yeah, that's going to hurt bad!" Real helpful, dude.
  3. "I know a lady who was in a wheelchair after giving birth for a few months. Can you become paralyzed from an epidural?" - Same husband that was apparently trying to scare his wife instead of making her feel more comfortable.
  4. "It's not so much that I have a problem with needles, it's that I don't like having things injected into my body." - 17 year-old girl there with her mom. We all know I leaned over to Kasey and said. "She should have thought about that eight months ago."

No comments: