Custom Search

Friday, October 15, 2010

Rough Weekend

It's taken me a few days to recover from the debacle that was last weekend - my sports teams playing abysmally, a sick daughter and a not-so-little baby boy that needs a lot of attention right now all made for one to forget/remember.

Our household has gotten pretty excited about the Reds' season this year so even though we were not real confident about the match up with the Phillies, we had hope that they would make a decent showing. Not so much.

The weekend got started on Friday when the Reds looked like they were going to bounce back nicely after getting no-hit in the series opener. Then they forgot how to use their gloves, the pitchers started hitting more batters than strike zones, and the weekend took a very bad turn. I was more upset after that loss in game 2 than the no-hitter. After sulking for a few hours and then going to bed, I was awoken to Myla crying at 2:00 am. I walked down the hall in a hazy state and was welcomed by the sight of Myla sitting up in her bed with vomit all over the sheets, comforter, pillow, and her pajamas. Fantastic! For the next two hours I sat up with her while she continued puking and Kasey took care of Luke during his normal wake-ups. Myla was still feeling rough on Saturday morning and was up and down all day in terms of her mood and how she was feeling.

Saturday night things in our sports world turned sour again when UK lost on a last-second field goal to #8 Auburn. Again, I didn't expect much, but you get drawn into these games when you are a UK football game and they are so good at losing in the last second. Ugh!

Just when it didn't look like it could get any worse, Sunday came along. Myla was no longer puking, but had a fever and just wanted to be held all morning. She finally seemed to shake whatever bug she had sometime around lunch - just in time for the Bengals to do their part for my weekend and lose in ridiculous fashion to the Bucs.

The cherry on the sundae/Sunday, came that night when the Reds got shutout and looked awful in their first home playoff game in 15 years.

Late Sunday night I told Kasey that this had to be one of the worst weekends of my life. She took offense to that, but I tried to put it in perspective. The reality is that I've been blessed to the point that my really bad weekends are when my sports teams lose and my daughter is sick. I get the fact that in the grand scheme of things it's really not that bad. However, I think many of you out their can certainly sympathize that after 48 hours of cleaning up vomit, holding a whiny daughter, trying to take care of a 7 week-old baby, and watching three of your teams disappoint you, it wasn't exactly an enjoyable weekend.

Now, all that being said, of course any weekend that I get to spend with my lovely wife, goofball daughter, and husky son, is better than most weekends!

1 comment:

Mom/Nana said...

Matthew, I would say that contends for a bad weekend. Fortunately all the really important parts of that weekend survived nicely. Although, I feel your pain when your sports teams lose. It does seem to just put you in a funk for a while. Hope this weekend is a better one for you. You look forward to the weekend and then when its been a rough one and its time to go back to work, you feel like you've been cheated.